Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hoopla and Relegation

EDUC 504 has been an interesting class thus far what with the multitude of things we’ve had to signup of (a blog, a website, aviary, am I missing any?), but it has been a useful class for me as one of the things I am striving to learn in the class is not the way to incorporate technology into my classroom per se rather I have been looking for different forms of representation that I can implement in my classrooms (sadly some of the technology such as podcast I don’t think will be, or can be effectively, implemented in my classes).  As a result the discussion about how Angry Birds to teach students about parametric equation was intriguing and immensely helpful as it was a clear illustration of the potential math offers for fun and creative forms of representation outside of “chalk-and-talk”.  I don’t know if I will use such an activity, but I would certainly like to use something similar in my classrooms as it got students who were normally distant in class to participate and take part in the learning experience.  Additionally, using Angry Birds made math fun and I hope that I am to instill in my students that math can yes be a fun and enjoyable experience, something that is lots on the vast majority of students. 
However, whilst the discussion was enlightening it left me with a somewhat disheartened feeling much as the previous class’s lesson plan activity did.  One of the takeaways I got from the class was about the amount of time and effort that goes into making such an engaging activity happen in the classroom.  The speaker spoke of how when he was coaching he often left with very little time to prepare for classes and as a result often found himself lecturing to students rather than engaging them, this concerns me as I hope to be active in my school community, but I don’t want my classes to suffer so severely that I strictly lecture to students.  Also disconcerting was the amount of time the Angry Birds activity took.  If I recall correctly the activity took at least three days, but if he had the ability to do it again it would have been a weeklong.  While this is great for students to fully engage with the activity it came at a price and in that case the price was any coverage of polar coordinates.  It is unfortunate that for such an amazing activity to take place a notable unit in the course has to be dropped entirely.  Fortunately for his students he made a reasoned decision to drop a unit that would not be necessary to students not advancing and math and one that would be reviewed, or in the case of his students learned for the first time, in future classes for those who would go further into math.  Dropping such material is not something that I am looking forward to, but I suppose sacrifice will be necessary to some extent if I wish to give such an experience to my future students.

Smorgasbord Fun Fact: The University of Michigan is the only school in the world with a charter of their Alumni Club established on the Moon!



Clearly Colbert has never been to Ohio:

“Twenty-two astronauts were born in Ohio. What is it about your state that makes people want to flee the Earth?"
- Stephen Colbert to Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones,"The Colbert Report," November 3, 2005”

6 comments:

  1. Michael, I think you bring up some really good concerns about the challenges of being a teacher who integrates "interesting" lessons into making our subject area come alive. I too would like to be active in the school community, but strive for a balance between my contributions there, serving my students well in the classroom, and having my own life outside of my occupation. I also identify with the challenge we will be facing about what is truly essential for our students. I think if we can learn to be planful in our planning efforts, as well as execution (careful use of class time), we can work towards being more successful as teachers. I'm sure we'll get a much better sense for this in the fall as we start student teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're not discouraged by the time it takes to be a good teacher. I have often heard that the first couple of years are the most difficult until you find your "groove". So hang in there. At the same time, I can relate to having fears of planning, timing, and giving my students what they deserve in a classroom. It's definitely challenging. But I think you will have a lot to offer your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,
    How you adressed your concerns was great. As I read, I caught myself nodding my head in agreement because those thoughts have crossed my mind as well. I think time is such an issue --- I have caught myself saying "I wish we had more time" at least once a day throughout our summer experience at Scarlett. I think your post is a great reminder to us that not every lesson is going to incorporate technology. And sometimes we are going to have to adjust our lessons because of our lack of time. But, judging from your post, that you have already learned that flexibility is necessary to succeed in teaching. It's very powerful that you can recognize that already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time management is critical - not only in education, but in all areas of life. Much of what we have heard over the past month is somewhat daunting. Little time to plan, but you must plan. Lots of students and lots of papers to review and tests to grade. The list goes on and on.
    But, consider what you've done thus far - undergraduate school, this MAC program, other activities, friends....
    Life is a series of challenges and that's what makes it fun.
    There are lots of teachers out there who have figured it out - and you will, too.
    You are here and thriving because you have shown that you can manage all of the things you have coming at you and you can keep your life in balance.
    I have no doubt - you will be a great math teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time is often a teacher's biggest obstacle, and making choices (both in the moment and in whether or not you plan to take on a big activity like coaching) is always a tough part of planning. (And it still is when you're professoring!) Mike Schmoker talks about the importance of identifying the high- and lower-priority learning objectives. Cover the big, important stuff and know what you can drop if you need to. Otherwise, we all run the risk of "covering" a lot of content (that hardly anybody understands). We count ourselves in that group!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you bring up a really good concern about how using techniques that may be great for education may take too much time. It is a concern I've thought about myself, and I honestly don't know how I'll deal with it until I get into the classroom and see how much time I have. I also worry about the amount of time I have as a person and echo your concern about being involved without hindering your class teaching. I'm sure we'll all come to productive conclusions though.

    ReplyDelete